These instructions are for using the OverDrive app to download library e-books and e-audiobooks.
Devices that can use the app include:
- Kindle Fire
- EPUB e-book
- MP3 audiobook
- To use Kindle books on your Kindle Fire, follow these instructions
install the OverDrive App:
All steps here will only need to be done the first time you access the app, unless you get a new device.
- Locate the OverDrive app in the app store for your device (Amazon Apps). You can also access the app by navigating to app.overdrive.com in a browser, choosing your device from the list of options and clicking on the button to install the app.
- Install the app (Note: you may need to know your Amazon account password.)
- Once installed, open the OverDrive App by tapping on the blue OverDrive icon on your device homescreen.
- The OverDrive App should prompt you to set it up the first time you open it! Follow the prompts, and refer to these instructions for more help.
- You need to create an OverDrive account to use the app. You should be prompted to do so immediately when you open the app. If not, swipe from left to right OR tap the icon that looks like three stacked lines (menu icon) to open the menu. Click Account in order to establish your free OverDrive account.
- Follow the prompts and instructions to create your OverDrive account. Once this is complete, your app is authorized and ready to use.
You are now ready to start downloading books!
Use E-books and E-audiobooks from the Digital Library:
Follow these three steps only the first time you access library e-books:
- In the OverDrive App, open the main menu by swiping from left to right or tapping on the menu icon.
- Tap Add a Library. Enter your city name to find your library: i.e. type Shorewood, tap Search, and you should get the result “Milwaukee Federated – Shorewood”.
- Tap on the library name and you will see more information about it. Tap on the star to make the Wisconsin Public Library Consortium – AKA Wisconsin’s Digital Library – your default library.
Follow these steps each time you access library e-books:
Go to the Library, digitally:
- Head to the Digital Library: From the app menu, tap Wisconsin Public Library Consortium OR tap on the large plus sign in your app bookshelf where it says “Add a title” to enter the digital library to browse, check out and place holds on books.
Sign in to access all the features and check out books with one tap:
- Log in to your library account by tapping “Sign in."
- Enter your library card affiliation (Shorewood Public Library or another Milwaukee County Library) and library card number and PIN. You can choose to have your device remember this information so you will not need to re-enter it each time.
Find a book:
- Browse for titles by choosing from either Subjects (to browse e-books in a particular genre or subject area) or Collections (to browse e-books that are divided into categories like "Available Now").
- OR Search for a specific author or title by clicking Search and then typing your query into the search box.
- Once you have found what you want: Select the title you'd like to read by choosing Borrow (for books that are immediately available) or Place a Hold (for books with a waiting list).
For titles immediately available:
- Go to your Loans page by either clicking on the word Loans from the borrow confirmation pop-up, or clicking on the books icon next to the menu icon then choosing Loans.
- Click Download to add the title to your app. Be sure to choose the ePUB format for e-books, NOT Kindle book. Audiobooks are only available as MP3 files, so there is no format selection to be made.
- Click the app menu icon in the upper left hand corner to return to the OverDrive app home from where you can read or listen to the book you have just downloaded.
- Choose Bookshelf in the OverDrive app to see the list of books you have downloaded to your device. Tap on the book cover to begin reading or listening.