The Friends of the Shorewood Public Library are pleased to announce a new memorials and tributes program that will let you pay tribute to a life well lived, recognize a loved one’s important accomplishment, or celebrate a birthday, graduation, special day, or a special person with a commemoration in a library book. Coming soon!
Your gift to the Friends of the Shorewood Public Library commemorates an important person or occasion. A custom bookplate featuring your honoree’s name will be placed inside a new book in the library.
How it works
- Visit the memorials and tributes page on the Library's website (check the webpage for official start date of the program in early June)
- Choose the friend, family member, or honoree to recognize.
- Select an optional custom message such as "In Honor of..." or "Happy Anniversary"
- Fill out a form online or in person at the Shorewood Public Library to indicate your desired honoree and donation amount: Donation of $20 for a commemorative plate in a children’s book, $50 for an adult bookplate (samples below)
- Your gift is tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law. The Friends of the Shorewood Public Library is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- The Friends of the Shorewood Public Library will send you a confirmation letter.
- The Friends of the Shorewood Public Library will send an optional letter, complete with your bookplate image, to the person or family you are honoring to announce your gift. The amount is not disclosed.
- Within two to three weeks, a bookplate is placed inside a new book in the Shorewood Public Library’s adult or children’s collection chosen by the librarians.
- Your gift will support additions to the library collections (80%), and popular annual programs and special community events (20%)!
Candace Shoemaker and Jane Tomasi, members of the Friends board, worked closely with Rachel Collins, Library Service Director, and other staff members to create the Memorials and Tribute programs.
Shoemaker said of the program: “When I moved here two years ago, I was immediately attracted to the library and its many programs and services. As a Friends’ board member, I wanted to help create a way to support the library and for community members to recognize their loved ones. As a library patron, I look forward to opening books and seeing custom tribute plates in them.”
Thank you for adding books to the library shelves and supporting the Friends!
-Submitted by Anne O'Meara