How Do I
...Contact the Library?
Call us with questions or to renew items: 847-2670
...get to the Library?
We are located at 3920 N. Murray Avenue in Shorewood, Wisconsin.
From the south: Head north on Oakland Avenue. Turn right, east, at the lights at Capitol Drive. Turn right again, south, at the lights on Murray Avenue.
From the north: Head south on Oakland Avenue. Turn left, east, at the lights at Capitol Drive. Turn right, south, at the lights on Murray Avenue.
The library is at the intersection of Murray and Shorewood Blvd. For parking lot access, head past Murray Avenue and instead turn right at the following intersection, Frederick Avenue. The parking lot is on the right side of the street.
...Get a library card?
Residents of Milwaukee County can do this at any public library located in the county. You'll need to bring in a photo ID such as a driver's license that has your name, picture and current Milwaukee County address on it. If your photo ID does not have your current address on it, please bring an additional document (can be digital) which does, such as a lease, bill, or account statement.
You can also apply for a card online. You'll receive confirmation within 1-3 days and your card will arrive in the mail.
...Renew my library card?
Library cards expire every two years. This gives us an opportunity to ensure we have the correct contact information for you.
You can renew your library card online.
You can also renew at the library with the same documentation listed above in the "Get a library card" question.
...pay a fine?
You may pay fines online through your library account, or at the library with credit, cash, check or mobile pay.
...renew items I have checked out?
You may renew items by calling us with your library card number at 847-2670, via the CountyCat app, or online through your library account.
To renew items online through your library account, follow these steps:
- While viewing your checkouts, click in the boxes to the left of the titles that you want to renew. Check marks will appear in all of the boxes that you click in.
- Click on the "Renew Marked" button OR “Renew All” button. Then confirm your renewal when asked.
- If successful, the STATUS for all of the renewed items will say "RENEWED Now due ___DATE___." The new due date will be calculated from the day that you renew the item, not the original due date. If not successful, you will see a message saying the item could not be renewed.
...request an item/place an item on hold?
You may request items (also known as placing them on hold) via the CountyCat app, by calling us with your library card number at 847-2670, or online through your library account.
- To request items online via CountyCat or the app, simply click on "Request" when viewing the item you'd like.
- You will be prompted to log in with your library card number and pin, and then prompted to choose at which library you would like to pick up your hold. When you request items through the app, you will not have to log in each time.
- Click "Submit" and your hold will either be processed successfully, or you will get a message telling you the item can't be held for one of a number of reasons.
...get text message notifications?
In addition to getting your usual phone or email notifications when your hold items are ready, or to remind you of due dates, you can get texts, too! It's another easy way to be reminded. You will only get texts when there is activity to alert you of, and your cell phone provider's standard text messaging rates apply. You can enable text message notifications in person at any service point at the library.
...create (or reset) a pin to access my account?
A PIN (Personal Identification Number) acts like a password in CountyCat. You can set, or reset, your PIN via CountyCat.
To create a PIN:
- Go to CountyCat and choose "Login to my Account."
- Enter your library barcode (14 digit number) found on your library card
- Leave the PIN field blank and click "Submit". If there is no PIN assigned to your record, you will be able to create one at this point.
If you are unable to create a PIN, this means you have an existing PIN that needs to be removed or changed.
To reset a PIN:
If you have an email address associated with your account, you can reset your PIN online. Follow steps 1 and 2 above, then click “Forget Your PIN?”and enter your email address. You will receive an email with a link to reset your PIN!
If you do not have an email address associated with your library account, call us at 847-2670 or visit us in person (preferred) and we will be happy to reset your PIN.
...Suggest a Purchase for the Library?
We like to hear from you, particularly if you have a recommendation for a book, movie or music we could add to our collection that would enhance it. We've got our fingers on the pulse of new releases, but there may be things that escape our notice.
To submit a purchase request:
- Go to CountyCat
- Click on Contact Us in the blue header on the top right.
- Complete the form that pops up, including the title of the item you wish to recommend for purchase.