Shorewood Public Library's Mission and Values
Shorewood Public Library welcomes all people to learn, connect, and explore. We serve our community with resources for lifelong learning and engagement.
Our mission is rooted in a tradition of supporting the needs of the Village of Shorewood and allowing for continued growth and support of our vibrant community. Our mission was adopted in September 2018.
We nurture connections in our community.
We support community efforts to find and explore common ground by providing opportunities for productive conversation and problem solving. We help community members share with and learn from each other.
We value reading and personal enrichment.
We recognize the important role reading and literacy play in learning, and in understanding our community and world. We support development of the whole person, at all ages, with materials that entertain, educate, and expand the human experience.
We foster lifelong learning.
We are committed to providing tools and opportunities for lifelong learning that contribute to personal and professional fulfillment. We are dedicated to reducing barriers to information, technology, and the written word.
We are good stewards of the library and all it contains.
We recognize that the public expects us to thoughtfully and responsibly manage the resources that have been entrusted to the library.
We value intellectual freedom, respecting a variety of viewpoints, opinions, and ideas.
We value growth, creativity, and open-mindedness, and without censorship provide our patrons with materials that represent multiple viewpoints.
We are committed to providing a welcoming environment.
We treat all people, our staff, and patrons with respect and care. We observe, consider, and are responsive to the community's needs and feedback. We strive to provide safe, comfortable, and welcoming spaces.
We respect our patrons' privacy.
We believe that privacy is core to the exploration of ideas and information and that all patrons have the right to confidential open inquiry.
We value our staff as a vital resource for the library and our patrons.
We see our staff as our greatest resource and the key to upholding all other values. We provide meaningful staff engagement and robust staff support to ensure employee longevity and a healthy work-life balance.
Our organizational values ground the work that we do. They were written as part of the creation of a strategic plan in 2018, but the intent is that these values are a foundation for our work that does not shift over time.
Strategic Plan 2019-2024
Over the course of five years, we will work strategically to meet goals and objectives that were identified through the collaborative work of our community, volunteers and staff.
Our goals are:
1. Community Connections: We will embrace opportunities and collaborations that increase connections in our community.
2. Customer Service: We will provide a welcoming and accessible space that makes it easy for all patrons to find what they need, in person and online.
3. Serving the Full Community: We will work to ensure that our collections, services, programs, and space serve our full community.
4. Getting the Message Out: We will explore ways we can better inform our community about the services and resources we offer.
5. Finding Balance: We will work to find the right balance of service and resource allocation to make the most effective use of staff time, experience, and expertise resulting in service excellence.