These instructions are for using Kindle-format library e-books on Kindle e-readers.
get Kindle e-books from the Digital Library using your non-fire kindle:
Go to the Digital Library via your computer's Internet browser, or the Internet browser on your Kindle:
Sign in to access all the features and check out books with one click:
- Log in to your library account by selecting Sign In in the upper right hand corner and entering your library card affiliation (Milwaukee County Federated Library System or Shorewood Public Library – both options will work) and library card number and pin. On your home computer, you can check the box so the site will remember your log in information for next time!
Find a book:
- Browse for titles by choosing from either Subjects (to browse e-books in a particular genre or subject area) or Collections (to browse e-books that are divided into categories like "Available Now").
- OR Search for a specific author or title by clicking Search and then typing your query into the search box.
- Because you can only use Kindle Books on your device, narrow search results to the Kindle Book format: from your search results or list of all books in one genre, choose Kindle Book under the Format heading from the search filter options on the left hand side.
- Once you have found what you want: Select the title you’d like to read by choosing Borrow (for books that are immediately available) or Place a Hold (for books with a waiting list).
For titles immediately available:
- Go to your Loans page by either clicking on the word Loans from the borrow confirmation pop-up, or clicking on the books icon next to the menu icon then choosing Loans.
- Click Download, then choose Kindle Book to be redirected to the Amazon.com page from where you will add the book to your Kindle. NOTE: If you are not already signed into your Amazon account, you will need to do so now.
- Once you are on Amazon.com, click Get Library Book. Sign into your Amazon account, if you are not already signed in, and choose which device or Kindle app you want to deliver your book to.
- If you connect your Kindle to the Internet via Wifi, the book you have just sent to your Kindle will be there the next time you open and refresh the device.
- If you cannot connect your Kindle to Wifi, you will need to transfer your Kindle book via the USB cord included with the device. Plug your Kindle in to your computer’s USB drive. Then, simply click the yellow Download now button in the Amazon.com window and follow the instructions from Amazon on the following page.